Thursday, October 29, 2009

The One With The REALLY GOOD Carbonara *wink*

It has been two long months since I actually cooked a meal. So last nite I decided to bring out my pots and pan and my super duper "keng" Zwilling knifes and make a decent meal for hubs.

On the menu -
  • Bacon and Mushroom Spaghetti Carbonara ( hubs favorite... the last time I cooked this dish from scratch was years ago!!)
  • A bottle of Argentinian red (just in case dinner sucks, at least I got a good bottle of red!)
I know sound like a very simple meal rite... wrong!! not if you are cooking it the right way! There are so many ways of making carbonara sauce. Some people used milk, other used thick cream, whipping cream, mushroom soup as the base. Some like to mix the sauce with cheddar cheese but I love the tartness of parmesan.

Making a carbonara sauce (to me ) is very technical, and if done wrongly, your sauce would be too diluted or too clumpy.

Alritee...let me tell you how I make my simple sauce oh - so -good that hubby goes back for thirds!

Ingredients:
250 g spaghetti or fettucini
4-5 rash of middle bacon ( must be pork!!! sorry to all my Muslim friends!!)
10-12 medium button mushroom
tiny weeny pinch of mixed herbs (can get it from Masterfood or McCormick) make sure is tiny weeny or it will overpower the taste of the sauce
Good Olive oil
Salt for boiling the spaghetti or fettucini
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

For sauce:
1 tub of Pure cream
Milk for consistency / or pasta water
1 large Egg
250 g Parmesan
Freshly grinded black pepper

  1. Get a big pot and fill it with water and get it boiling. Once boil, add salt ( 1 teaspoon per liter of water plus its the only time to season the pasta) and put in the spaghetti and cooked until it's al-dente.
  2. In a hot pan, fry the bacon with olive oil until its crispy and add the mixed herbs and mushroom. Continue until mushroom soften and remove aside.
  3. Turn fire to minimum and add in garlic and fry till frangrant.
  4. Pour in pure cream and stir, then add a bit of milk
  5. Slowly put in the parmesan and stir till it melts into the sauce and continue putting in the parmesan until finish. If it get too thick add in milk.
  6. Off the fire and quickly beat the egg and slowly pour it in the hot sauce while stirring.
  7. Add black pepper for taste.
  8. Lastly add in the spaghetti and serve HOT!!!! with garlic bread.
Try it!

The carbonara turned out really good not clumpy and not too diluted, just nice and glossy and yummy, I was surprise considering I have not cooked it since like forever!

p/s forgot to take picture... *blek*

No comments: