Monday, December 24, 2007

The Passing of The Very Ancient Chan Leong

In case anyone was wondering where did I drop into for the last one week…? (like anyone would notice-lah)… my grandfather-in-law of 103 years old pass away…very peacefully you might add.

So…like any good granddaughter-in-law would… we went back to Rawang for his 3 day funeral. To be honest, I have never seen a dead person (beside on TV) so it was my very first experience… well… Ah Yeh looks very very peaceful…like he was sleeping… but then the second day he got a bit dried up…ha ha ha… and the third say well basically he was decomposing… very band embalmment job!

So on the first day we took a 3 hour drive back to Rawang to 3rd uncle’s house where the funeral rites was being perform… nothing much until the night where there was the Taoist monks to do the *ching chong chong* ceremony which I do not understand a word…so basically monkey see monkey do lah!

Second day…same thing…my crazy parents drove from Penang to Rawang to pay their respect and drove back to Penang… physcho!! But it was soo totally sweet of them.

The third day, we had to wake up at un-godly hour for the funeral procession… it was super tiring with all the kneeling and bowing and squatting… Actually kinda think of it, it was more like a family get together and eating and laughing more like a funeral…

What was absolutely shocking was Ah Yeh asking for hubs and me!! ME!!! He never knew who I was or what my name was…on his dying bed he remembered me and my name!!! SO SUPER SWEET of him!! People say when you are dying your memory is superb… like you ate the whole gingko tree!

So with all this drama… we have been banned from going to any weddings or any happy occasion for 100 days… a period of mourning according to the elders… but the thing is we are not mourning… we were wearing red… his death was like a celebration because he is ancient. But better don’t piss off the elderly… bad karma… so follow whatever they say… nothing much I can do.

Now I cannot go to my best friend’s wedding, my ex housemate’s wedding and my other best friend’s wedding (yes I have more than 1 best friend….very greedy!!)

4 comments:

Mang + Mang + Mang said...

now that ah yeh has left the building and gone to the giant kopitiam above, he's gotten himself a spiffy broadband connection and reading your blog.... hahaha

Lynn a.k.a.Mama G said...

yea...that way he can always watch over us!!!

Irene said...

My condolences.

When I go to "family" type of funerals -- it also turns out to be another "party". ;)

Lynn a.k.a.Mama G said...

Don't we all tend to make something a party??!! hehehe