Monday, March 26, 2012

I Have Gestational Diabetes - %^&*$%^*$%^*$^&%

So my glucose blood test came back with a positive on gestational diabestes (GD) oh hooray @#%^*^

On Thursday I went in to do a blood test at 8am after a night of fasting and then was given a huge cup, YES a HUGE CUP not a shot glass, of horrible extremely sweet no-words-can - decribe sugar syrup/water/potion to drink. Held my breath and gulp it all down only to find my throat closing up at the end causing a gag reflex. But I finished it! Anyone who is not diabetic that have that will automatically become one! IMHO la....

So I assume I can go eat breakfast coz I was super hungry BUT Noooooo I had to wait two more hours and come back for another blood test to determine my glucose level. %^&$%#* NOTE: a hungry pregnant woman is a monster! Two very grumpy hours later, the lab took my blood and I had to wait another two freaking hours for the result. Two very long hours later, Dr D told me my readings. Before sugar killing water it was 5.5mmol/L after the sugar killing water my glucose level shot up to 10.4mmol/L. For nomal people it shud be below 7.8 mmol/L. So that means I have *drum roll* GD!!!

Immediately, Dr. D wanted me to see a dietician and come back on Saturday for a 4 point blood test. What luck!! ^&*%$^&$&

So off to the dietician I went. I was put on a 15 point carb diet. Meaning in one day I have have 15 servings of 15 grams of carbs. For example, 1 slice of bread = 1 serving of carbs; 1/3 bowl of rice = 1 serving os carbs; 1 medium apple = 1 serving of carbs. Sounds miserable!!

So I manage to fullfill 15 point carb diet and I bought myself a blood glucose monitoring machine thingy. Cut long story short, for the past 2 days which I went on my dietition's diet, my reading was normal and yesterday I went on my normal diet and my reading was normal. then what the hell is wrong??!!

Nope there was no mistakes in lab result nor any monitoring machine. I have GD period. Just need to monitor what I eat and prick myself now and then. Goodbye Haagen Daz, good bye Chatime, good bye Starbucks Ice Chocolate.

On the bright side, my GD was not triggered by my weight, it was mostly due to genetics (thanks to both side of my parents), me being Asian, me having all the hormones shot during my IVF and IUI days, me being a "matured" age. On the down side, as my pregnancy progress, my GD might get worse as my pregnancy progress on.

So here is to healthy eating and praying I will sail through this for another 12 weeks plus minus and have a natural gentle birth to my lil baby girl.

Good things will come to me at the end.... a healthy baby with the birth that I wish for :)

No comments: