Monday, February 08, 2010

The One With The Wet Market

I don't do wet markets!

First of all, its wet.

Second of all, its smelly.

Third of all, they don't have price tag (sure kena chop chop chop one ).

Note: I am a hypermarket /supermarket person - except for when I am back in Melbourne coz its clean there!) *I had to clarify myself so I don't appear snotty*

Unfortunately, I had to go to the wet market yesterday... yes... I dragged the hubs along... he terpaksa follow me... coz I was too chicken shit to go alone and face the constant yelling and screaming and bickering of the market.

I was supposed to buy "ang choh" and whole "geng geng" and also fresh gingko nuts for my CNY prep... so I know only you can get them in the fresh wet market... and since I was there dee, I decided to buy my supple of pork, chicken and vegies ( I leave the seafood to me dad - coz he pro at it).

Conversation with the butcher ( spoken in my broken Hokkien and translated into English):

Me : Can I have pork ribs.

Butcher: How much you want? ( he meant as in how much in $$ I wanted)

Me: urm urm urm...a little bit? ( I just wanted 500 grams, how much is 500 grams?)

Butcher: How little?

Me: You decided la! 

Proceeds to show me amount of pork ribs... then 

Butcher: Anything else?

Me: Pork belly a bit also ( face turns red and breaking out in cold sweat!)

The butcher was very amused with me.... ok first of all the convo sounds funnier in Hokkien and you got to be there to see the embarrassment I had to go thru with all the impatient aunties staring and at me... seriously, how the hell do I know you buy your meat based of the how much in $$ you want? I buy my meat based of kilos and grams. So MALU!! 

Well I did not have the same luck at the poultry department *sigh* nor at the vegies department... I swear to you I paid like 20% more than everyone else! I am such a rookie at this!

At the end we I survived the whole ordeal. Hubs was just standing around. I swear he looked like a lost sheep, and I looked like a fish out of water.

Need I say anything more?

No comments: